Thursday, June 18, 2009

Middle of June

We heard our first crickets of the year on Monday night! I saw my first fireflies on Wednesday, but Dan and Maynie said that they saw them at the Arboretum on June 7 on their full moon walk.

I found Motherwort blooming in our raspberry patch like I did last year. I never even knew that this plant existed before then.

One of the weeds that grew up in our garden while we were gone was this over 6 feet tall weed. It flowered on Monday. I looked it up, and it might be Poison Hemlock! I will remove it today!

On the bike path behind the pool, since Monday I've seen Common Saint Johnswort blooming.

I have also seen another plant there (you can see some of it in the picture above too). This plant I've never seen before this year. I think it is either Hairy Vetch or Cow Vetch. I will have to take a closer look. Here's a picture of the vetch just by itself:

I've seen another purple flower belonging to the pea family close to this one (on Rowell St.). I think it is alfalfa. I don't think I've ever noticed it before this year either!

The Field Thistles have looked ready to burst into flower for a while, but I saw my first open flower on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment