Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Flowers and other happenings

We found a crocus blooming in the middle of our yard yesterday. It came up the same place last year. We never planted it. Thanks to the squirrel who did! Thanks also to Jen Lynch who identified it for us!

I found the above today in our yard, and I think it is a Siberian Squill. Again, a volunteer in our yard. I think they are considered an invasive species at the Arboretum, but I have to say I do quite like the occasional one in our yard.


Look at how bright yellow the male goldfinches are now!


The juncos are still around. They leave sometime in April so I am trying to check everyday if they are still around.

Yesterday we went to the Arboretum, and we didn't see any spring wildflowers. We did see a Forsythia in bloom though (I love those tags on the trees in Longnecker gardens!):

We also saw a turtle, heard spring peepers and saw a tree swallow (which a person there told us have been back about a week). We also heard an owl (my best guess is a horned owl) hooting at around 1pm in the afternoon! That was quite a surprise.

Three days ago, we went to the Arboretum at twilight (around 7:30pm) and saw woodcocks dancing by the visitor center. It was quite a show. I don't know how many more days they will do it, but we all highly recommend going and watching them!

It doesn't seem that warm, but it was such a beautiful 50 degree day today that I planted some seeds in the garden. Let's see if they germinate!

No comments:

Post a Comment