Friday, February 6, 2009

Cardinals are singing!


I heard many cardinals singing today. It was fun to hear them! A friend said that she has always observed cardinal's singing on sunny days. Today was certainly sunny. I am curious if birds at this time of year tend to sing more on sunny days. I have been noting when I hear chickadees, and the two times I've paid attention, they were singing on a sunny day. So let me know if what you observe confirms or rejects this hypothesis of birds preferring to sing on sunny days.

Around the end of February or beginning of March, the phenology calendars start getting a lot denser. So even if spring isn't right around the corner, a lot of animal and plant activity is! We didn't get a January thaw like Aldo Leopold talks about in his Sand County Almanac, but we are getting a February thaw. A friend said that he was in his car to Watertown and saw huge numbers of hawks, presumably getting ready to hunt all those rodents that have been hiding under the snow!

1 comment:

  1. Over the last couple of days when I see a cardinal high in a tree, he is always singing and facing the sun. I am keeping track and I now have seen 3 beautiful males singing facing the sun. One was in the morning and two in the early afternoon.

    ReplyDelete