Monday, October 12, 2009

First Frost

We had our first frost and first freeze Friday night (Oct 9th). It fell to 27F. Then we had another night in the 20s Saturday night. We also had our first few snowflakes on Saturday, Oct 10th! It is cold. I hope we still have an Indian summer coming. My memory of last year is that it didn't happen. Once it got cold, I don't remember it getting warm again until April!

I have been seeing Robins now and then, and also Red-winged Blackbirds. Lots of birds moving around. I assume they are migrating, but maybe they are our local birds who are suddenly visible and audible again. I feel I am hearing and seeing lots of birds I don't know too, but I never get a close enough look to tell for sure.

I heard a Robin singing feebly today, and a woodpecker drumming! I've read that birds will occasionally confuse this time of year for spring (since it has the same amount of daylight). But maybe these birds were just practicing for next year.

I saw my first Junco of the fall on Saturday, Oct 10 in our yard, but I haven't seen another one since. I also saw what I think are grebes on Monona Bay on Saturday. I also saw lots of gulls and geese. I am trying to keep track and see if the gulls migrate, or if like the mallard ducks, they stick around for most of the winter. I haven't seen any loons yet. I am waiting eagerly for them to come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment